Tuesday, July 18, 2006

saturday market bag

I am making the Saturday Market Bag from magknits June Edition designed by Jodie Danenberg. It is quite a quick knit but it took a little time and a few rips before I began to recognise the anatomy of the stitches and become confident with the pattern. Once I cracked this it was a breeze - though the chunky 10mm addi turbo circulars were a bit cumbersome.
I have already completed the entire main bag section using Rowan all seasons cotton in Jazz. This yarn is 60% cotton, 40% acrylic/microfibre, in aran weight. It has worked out quite nicely and I am going to knit a strap for it as pictured in magknits. I have just received my 6mm circulars in the post so I can do just that tonight!-) Jodie has posted pictures of completed bags by fellow knitters on her blog. There is a really lovely blue one with bamboo oval handles. So now I have started a pink version in Rowan Cotton rope that will have said bamboo handles. While I am knitting this one up I thought I would post a photo of the stitches for reference.















This photo shows the cast on row and completed first row of the pattern...
Row 1 - k1,*yo, sl1, k1, yo, psso the knit st and following yo
The needle is held as if to begin the second row of the pattern.
The pattern is easy to recognise as the yarn loops over the first two stitches of the pattern - the third stitch is the yo (yarn over) that you drop off the needle on row 2 and row 4 of the pattern.


This picture shows the same stitch across the circular needles.
It can get a bit tricky when you have to push the stitches up onto the needle but as long as you make sure the yo is after the first two stitches it should be plain sailing.
Once the yo's have been dropped off the needle on row 2 and 4 the stitches hang off of the needles as normal.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

This is great! I'm so glad you e-mailed me the link to this. I'll be putting a link up to this post in my blog.

Louise said...

I must have ripped my first attempt about 5 or 6 times before I really understood what the stitches were supposed to look like. Patience and perseverance as my nan would say ;-)

mjm knitting said...

those bamboo handles are beautiful. any idea where i can get my hands on some? did you pick them up at your LYS or order them online? the market bag is now on my list of things to do.

wonderful blog by the way,
found yours while looking at charlotte's site

thanks
melinda

Louise said...

I have just bought a pair of similar fair trade bamboo handles from get knitted. Should be attaching them to the bag v soon :-)